Table of Contents

Who Can Apply

How To Apply
      Access To Housing
      Application Checklist
      Application Tips
      Wait Times
      Rent Payment Options

Student Housing

City of Hamilton, Housing Services Division

Who Can Apply For Subsidized Housing?

1. All members of the household must be:

  • A Canadian Citizen, or
  • A landed immigrant (permanent resident), or an applicant for permanent resident status, or
  • A refugee, or a refugee claimant.

You must attach proof of status for each member of your household to your application

2. At least one person in your household must be 16 years of age or older and able to live independently. You must attach proof of age.

3. If you or any member of your household has arrears owing to any social housing provider within Ontario, Access to Housing will require confirmation that the member has entered into an agreement with the housing provider for the repayment of the arrears before we can process your application.

4. Your application will be rejected if any member of the household has been convicted in court or at the Ontario Rent Tribunal within the last 2 years of an offence related to rent-geared-to-housing under section 85 of the SHRA or a crime under the Criminal Code in relation to rent-geared-to-income assistance.

5. If anyone in your household has a financial interest in another home anywhere in the world, you must agree, in writing, to divest yourself of the property within one-year of getting housed. You do not have to make this decision when you first apply but you will have to make it before you get housed.